As a lifelong photographer I’ve used many cameras, lenses, and other gear to get the job done. I often paraphrase another shooter who said, “the best camera is the one you have with you”. I agree.
Cameras are tools. Extensions of the eye/brain, used to capture the images the photographer sees in their mind. I can operate the cameras blindfolded, giving me the freedom to be ready to catch the emotions and the decisive moments as they happen.
Having said that here’s my current preferred gear list:
• Panasonic Lumix GH-5 and GH-4 Camera System ~ with Leica Prime Glass (the 15mm f/1.7, the 25mm f/1.4, and 42.5mm f/1.2) and Lumix zooms (12-35mm f/2.8, 35-100 f/2.8, and 100-300 f/4). This system rocks for both still and video shooting! The prime glass works especially well in filmmaking.
• Great audio ~ recorded thru a JuickedLink Pre-Amp with XLR balanced shotgun microphones and wireless lavaliere mics.
• Manfrotto LED Light Panels.
• Flash (when needed) ~ Dyna-Lite Studio Strobes, Yongnuo Speedlites, and one old QFlash. Seems weird doesn’t it, but they work great with the Lumix cameras?
• The best backdrops anywhere ~ from Silverlake Photo.
• More light modifiers and accessory gear than you can shake a stick at.